I was just surfing the web when I noticed that Virginia has ranked 14th in the CQ Press’s 2009 Crime State Rankings. The last time that Virginia placed this highly on this ranking was back in 2001. Last year, Virginia came in at number 15.
The CQ Press’s annual Crime State Rankings consider a variety of factors when determining how well states fare. These factors include arrests, corrections, courts, crime clearances, drug and alcohol treatment, juvenile justice, Law enforcement expenditures and Offenses.
With 1 being the worst possible score and 50 being the best score, Virginia ranked as follows:
- Assault: 42
- Burglary: 45
- Murder: 23
- Motor vehicle theft: 41
- Rape: 443
- Robbery: 26
This is good news for Virginia and reflects our state’s level of commitment to law enforcement and corrections. Placing highly in terms of crime rates when compared to the rest of the nation should also help to keep auto and home theft insurance rates from increasing. It should also help maintain higher median home values.
When you consider the things that go into making a great community, there are several important factors, crime rate is definitely one of the more important factors, after all, no one wants to live in a crime ridden area. I am glad to see that Virginia is placing higher every year in this important ranking.
Please click to see how Virginia and all 50 states fared at WalletPop.com.
If you are interested in purchasing the complete rankings for all 50 states from CQ Press, please click here.
- Tastefully Yours…Peninsula’s Best – April 16, 2009 from 6 to 9:30 pm at The Hampton Roads Convention Center in Hampton Virginia. Over 30 Peninsula’s Best Restaurants in Hampton. For more information call 757.596.7188 ext 12 or visit www.nnfoodbank.org
- Relay for Life Fundraiser at Keagan’s – April 16, 2009 from 4 to 9 pm at Keagan’s Tower Center in Virginia Beach, Virginia. For more information contact Lisa Pesquera at 757.424.3232. Support the American Cancer Society! 15% of your total bill goes directly to ACS! Please come out and show your support!
- Chesapeake Ducks Unlimited Annual Banquet – Aril 16, 2009 at the Hickory Ruritan Club in Chesapeake, Virginia. Call Steve at 757.619.3232 for more information on this event.
- International Children’s Festival – April 18, 2009 at Mill Point Park in Hampton Virginia, bring the entire family to the International Children’s Festival, taking place from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Call Cyndi Masterstaff at 757.727.8314 or visit International Children’s Festival website.
- 2009 Oceanfront Spring Crawl – April 18, 2009 from 4 to 9 pm, a tour of ten different bars on the Virginia Beach oceanfront to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Located at the Virginia Beach Resort Area in Virginia Beach, contact Ghent Bar Tours at 757.353.4660 or visit the Oceanfront Spring Crawl website.
- Experience the Virginia Culinary Expo featuring Emeril – April 19, 2009 doors open at 11 am at Ted Constant Convention Center in Norfolk, Virginia. For more information on this fun event featuring Emeril Lagasse call 888.3.COXTIX .
- Norfolk Garden Week at East Beach – April 23, 2009 from 10 am to 5 pm at East Beach in Norfolk, Virginia. Norfolk Garden Week will showcase the gardens at East Beach, a traditional neighborhood development along the Chesapeake Bay. For more information on this event contact Melanie Wills at 757.489.1963 or visit the East Beach Website.
- Spring Craft Show at the Farmers Market – April 25, 2009 from 9 to 3 pm at the City of Virginia Beach Farmers Market in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Call Karen Alvarez at 757.385.4395 for more information on this event for the entire family.